English 7-12, B.S.
This program has a separate admission process. Please consult the admission requirements for this program for more information.
Overall GPA of 2.7 Required
120 Overall Credits Required
LIBERAL EDUCATION PROGRAM AND WRITING REQUIREMENTS
Liberal Education Program
45 Credits Required
Students must complete a comprehensive three-tiered Liberal Education Program (LEP). View all requirements of the tiers on the Liberal Education Program.
While the choice of courses that fulfill the requirements is generally left up to students, some departments require that students select specific courses to complement their major. This major has specific Tier requirements/restrictions for the following:
Tier 2 – Mind and Body:
SHE 203 – School Health
Tier 2 - Conflict and Consensus
EDU 200 - Teachers, Schools, and Society
Tier 3 - Capstone
ENG 496 - Student Teaching Seminar - English
Writing Requirements (“W-Courses”)
Three W-courses are required. These may not be taken until after a student has passed ENG 112 — Writing Arguments. W-courses may count toward LEP, major, or cognate requirements, as well as free electives. Course sections that meet this requirement are designated by section numbers ending in “W”.
Transfer students who enter with 60 to 89 credits are required to pass two W-courses, while transfer students who enter with 90 credits or more must pass one W-course.
72 Credits Required
Major GPA of 2.7 Required and ‘C’ or better in each Major Requirement course.
No more than one-third (1/3) of a student’s course credits in the English major may be transfer credits.
39 Credits Required
ENG 307 — Literary Analysis for English Majors (must be taken at SCSU)
ENG 308 — English Studies: Critical Theories (must be taken at SCSU)
ENG 309 — Rhetorical Strategies in Writing and Communication (must be taken at SCSU)
ENG 312 - English Grammar Systems
ENG 317 – Cross Cultural Literatures and Contexts
ENG 321 — British Literature through History I
ENG 322 — British Literature through History II
ENG 323 — American Literature through History
ENG 415 - History of the Language
Select one from:
- LIT 300 — Literature of the Hebrew Bible
- LIT 302 — Literature of the New Testament
- LIT 310 — Mythology
- LIT 311 — Norse and Celtic Mythology
- LIT 406 — Classical Drama: Greek and Roman
- LIT 488 — Seminar in World Lit. (English Medieval topic)
- ENG 298 — Special Topics (English Medieval topic)
- ENG 380 — Chaucer
- ENG 385 — English Medieval Literature
- ENG 398 — Special Topics (English Medieval topic)
- ENG 487 – Seminar in British Literature (English Medieval topic)
Select one from:
- ENG 342 – Shakespeare I: 1564-1601
- ENG 343 – Shakespeare II: 1601-1616
- ENG 487 – Seminar in British Literature (Shakespearean topic)
Select 6 credits in electives, approved by advisor:
- 3 credits in a 300- or 400-level ENG/LIT literature course.
- 3 credits in either a 200- level or above ENG writing course or another 300- or 400-level ENG/LIT literature course.
33 Credits Required
EDU 316 - Child Development and Psychology for Educators
EDU 413 - Secondary Education
EDU 471 - Supporting English Learners for School Success (formerly IDS 471)
ENG 492 – Teaching Literature to Adolescents
ENG 493 – English (Secondary School)
ENG 494 – Student Teaching-English
MDS 340 – Media Literacy Education for Students and Teachers
SED 482 – Teaching Exceptional Students in the Secondary Education Classroom
RDG 517 – Content Area Literacy in Middle and Secondary Schools
No cognates are required for this program.