Sport Management, B.S.
This program has a separate admission process. Please consult the admission requirements for this program for more information.
120 Overall Credits Required
LIBERAL EDUCATION PROGRAM AND WRITING REQUIREMENTS
Liberal Education Program
45 Credits Required
Students must complete a comprehensive three-tiered Liberal Education Program (LEP). View all requirements of the tiers on the Liberal Education Program.
While the choice of courses that fulfill the requirements is generally left up to students, some departments require that students select specific courses to complement their major. This major has specific Tier requirements/restrictions for the following:
Tier 2 – Mind and Body:
REC 120 – Leadership Development
Tier 2 – Creative Drive:
REC 220 – Inclusive Recreation
Writing Requirements (“W-Courses”)
Three W-courses are required. These may not be taken until after a student has passed ENG 112 — Writing Arguments. W-courses may count toward LEP, major, or cognate requirements, as well as free electives. Course sections that meet this requirement are designated by section numbers ending in “W”.
Transfer students who enter with 60 to 89 credits are required to pass two W-courses, while transfer students who enter with 90 credits or more must pass one W-course.
45 Credits Required
'C' or better required.
Courses with less than 'C' must be repeated within two semesters. Students receiving grades of 'C' or lower in more than one recreation course may be dismissed from this major.
- REC 100 – Introduction to Recreation, Tourism, and Sport Management
- REC 363 - Event Management
- SMT 271 - Foundations of Sport Management
- SMT 301 - Internship I
- SMT 351 - Facility Design and Management
- SMT 354 - Sport Communication and Promotion
- SMT 355 - Ethics in Sport Management
- SMT 356 - Sport Marketing
- SMT 357 - Legal Issues in Sport and Recreation
- SMT 388 - Administration of Sport Organizations
- SMT 401 - Internship II
- SMT 454 - International Sport Management and Governance
- SMT 456 - Sport Finance
- SMT 457 - Seminar: Contemporary Issues in Sports Management
18 Credits Required
Select six courses from:
- EXS 380 - Sport Psychology
- EXS 496 - Sport in American Culture
- HIS 220 - Sports in U.S. History
- JRN 200 - Basic of Journalism
- JRN 211 - Broadcast Sports Journalism
- JRN 226 - Sport Multimedia Journalism
- JRN 304 - Sports Reporting
- MGT 300 - Management and Organization
- MKT 200 - Principles of Marketing
- REC 320 - Program Planning and Development
- REC 321 - Advanced Techniques of Program Planning and Management
- REC 364 - Event Management Advanced Applications
- REC 470 - Research Methods
- SMT 200 - Recreational Team Sports
- SMT 207 - Adaptive Recreational Sport
- SMT 295 - Fantasy Sports and Sport Gaming
- SMT 465 - Sport Analytics
- SOC 267 - Sociology of Sports