Sport Management, B.S.
This program has a separate admission process. Please consult the admission requirements for this program for more information.
120 Overall Credits Required
LIBERAL EDUCATION PROGRAM AND WRITING REQUIREMENTS
Liberal Education Program
48 Credits Required
Students must complete a comprehensive three-tiered Liberal Education Program (LEP). View all requirements of the tiers on the Liberal Education Program. Any credits over 48 are counted toward free electives.
While the choice of courses that fulfill the requirements is generally left up to students, some departments require that students select specific courses to complement their major. This major has specific Tier requirements/restrictions for the following:
Tier 2 – Mind and Body:
REC 120 – Leadership Development
Writing Requirements (“W-Courses”)
Three W-courses are required. These may not be taken until after a student has passed ENG 112 — Writing Arguments. W-courses may count toward LEP, major, or cognate requirements, as well as free electives. Course sections that meet this requirement are designated by section numbers ending in “W”.
Transfer students who enter with 60 to 89 credits are required to pass two W-courses, while transfer students who enter with 90 credits or more must pass one W-course.
45 Credits Required
C or better required.
Courses with less than C must be repeated within two semesters. Students receiving grades of C or lower in more than one recreation course may be dismissed from this major.
REC 363 - Event Management
REC 400 - Internship II
REC 470 - Senior Research Methods
SMT 207 - Adaptive Recreational Sport
SMT 271 - Introduction to Sports Management
SMT 351 - Facility Design and Management
SMT 354 - Sport Communication and Promotion
SMT 355- Ethics in Sport Management
SMT 356 - Sport Marketing
SMT 357 - Legal Issues in Recreation and Sports
SMT 388 - Organization and Administration of Sport Management
SMT 401 - Practicum II
SMT 454 - International Sport Management and Governance
SMT 456 - Sport Finance
SMT 457 - Seminar: Contemporary Issues in Sports Management
12 Credits Required
Select four courses from:
- EXS 496 - Sport in American Culture
- HIS 220 - Sports in U.S. History
- JRN 135 - Digital Media Skills
- JRN 200 - Basic of Journalism
- JRN 225 - Multimedia Journalism
- JRN 304 - Sports Reporting
- MGT 300 - Management and Organization
- MKT 200 - Principles of Marketing
- REC 320 - Program Planning and Development
- REC 321 - Advanced Techniques of Program Planning and Management
- REC 364 - Event Management Advanced Applications
- SMT 200 - Recreational Team Sports
- SMT 295 - Fantasy Sports and Sport Gaming
- SMT 465 - Sport Analytics
- SOC 267 - Sociology of Sports
Students must take remaining credits to reach Overall Credits Required (listed above).