Psychology, B.A. - General
The program outline and graduation requirements are listed below. In addition, free electives are selected to reach 120 credits overall required for graduation.
The department website provides an overview of the program, admission requirements (when applicable), faculty biographies, learning outcomes, and careers: https://www.southernct.edu/academics/psychology/programs
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
All bachelor’s degree programs include liberal education (LEP) and writing (W) course requirements. Detailed information on these requirements is published in this section of the catalog: https://catalog.southernct.edu/undergraduate/general-information/lep.html.
Writing courses are not additional course requirements, course sections that meet this requirement are designated with a ‘W’ on the class schedule. Courses in the major and/or cognate may also be used to satisfy LEP requirements where noted below (*).
MAJOR REQUIREMENTS (38 Credits)
Acceptance to the major required.
'C' or better required in all PSY courses, except PSY 100.
Group 1: Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 100 - Introduction to Psychology (T2MB)*
Group 2: Two courses (Requires completion of Group 1)
- Any two 200-level psychology courses except PSY 259
Group 3: One course (Requires at least 3 credits from Group 2)
- Any 300-level psychology course except for PSY 300, 303, 311, 313, 383, 393
Group 4: Required course: (Requires completion of LEP Tier 1:Quantitative Reasoning)
- PSY 259 — Statistics in Psychology
Group 5: Required course: (Requires departmental permission and completed major acceptance form)
- PSY 300—The Psychology Major: Curriculum and Careers (1 credit) (Graded as Pass/Fail)
Group 6: Two of the following (Requires completion of Group 4 and Group 5)
Group 7: Required course (Requires completion of Group 4 and Group 5)
- PSY 393 — Experimental Methods
Group 8: Two courses (Requires completion of Group 4 and 5, and at least 3 credits from Groups 3 and/or 6)
- Any two 400-level psychology courses except for PSY 463, 467, 471, 472, 473, and 499.
Group 9: One of the following (specific course prerequisites apply)
Group 10: One of the following (specific course prerequisites apply)
- Any Group 3, 6 or 8 psychology course.