Psychology, B.A. - Concentration: General
This program has a separate admission process. Please consult the admission requirements for this program for more information.
Overall GPA of 2.0 Required
120 Overall Credits Required
LIBERAL EDUCATION PROGRAM AND WRITING REQUIREMENTS
Liberal Education Program
45 Credits Required
Students must complete a comprehensive three-tiered Liberal Education Program (LEP). View all requirements of the tiers on the Liberal Education Program.
While the choice of courses that fulfill the requirements is generally left up to students, some departments require that students select specific courses to complement their major. This major has specific Tier requirements/restrictions for the following:
Tier 2 – Mind and Body
PSY 100 - Introduction to Psychology - (Group 1)
Writing Requirements (“W-Courses”)
Three W-courses are required. These may not be taken until after a student has passed ENG 112 — Writing Arguments. W-courses may count toward LEP, major, or cognate requirements, as well as free electives. Course sections that meet this requirement are designated by section numbers ending in “W”.
Transfer students who enter with 60 to 89 credits are required to pass two W-courses, while transfer students who enter with 90 credits or more must pass one W-course.
35 Credits Required
Acceptance to the major required.
‘C’ or better required in all PSY courses
Group 2: Two of the following (Requires completion of Group 1)
- PSY 210 — Infant and Child Development
- PSY 215 — Adolescent Development
- PSY 219 — Lifespan Development
- PSY 220 — Introduction to Mental Health
- PSY 227 — Social Psychology
- PSY 228 — Personality
- PSY 298 — Special Topics
Group 3: One of the following (Requires at least 3 credits from Group 2)
- PSY 306 — Understanding Intelligence
- PSY 318 — Emotional and Social Development
- PSY 320 — Abnormal Child Psychology
- PSY 321 — Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 361 — Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- PSY 366 — Health Psychology
- PSY 370 — Educational Psychology
- PSY 371 — Educational Psychology for Early Childhood Education
- PSY 398 — Special Topics
Group 4: Required course: (Requires completion of LEP Quantitative Reasoning)
- PSY 259 — Statistics in Psychology
Group 5: Required course: (Requires departmental permission and completed major acceptance form)
- PSY 300—The Psychology Major: Curriculum and Careers (1 credit)
Group 6: Two of the following (Requires completion of Group 4 and Group 5)
Group 7: Required course (Requires completion of Group 4 and Group 5)
- PSY 393 — Experimental Methods
Group 8: Two courses (Requires completion of Group 4 and 5, and at least 3 credits from Groups 3 and/or 6)
- Any two 400-level psychology courses except for PSY 463, 467, 471, 472, 473, and 499.
Group 9: One of the following (specific course prerequisites apply)
Group 10: One of the following (specific course prerequisites apply)
- Any Group 3, 6 or 8 psychology course.
No cognates are required for this program.