Psychology, B.A. - Concentration: Mental Health
This program has a separate admission process. Please consult the admission requirements for this program for more information.
Overall credits required: 120
Overall GPA of 2.0 Required
LIBERAL EDUCATION PROGRAM AND WRITING REQUIREMENTS
Liberal Education Program
48 Credits Required
Students must complete a comprehensive three-tiered Liberal Education Program (LEP). View all requirements of the tiers on the Liberal Education Program. Any credits over 48 are counted toward free electives.
While the choice of courses that fulfill the requirements is generally left up to students, some departments require that students select specific courses to complement their major. This major has specific Tier requirements/restrictions for the following:
Tier 2 – Mind and Body
PSY 100 - Introduction to Psychology - (Group 1M)
Writing Requirements (“W-Courses”)
Three W-courses are required. These may not be taken until after a student has passed ENG 112 — Writing Arguments. W-courses may count toward LEP, major, or cognate requirements, as well as free electives. Course sections that meet this requirement are designated by section numbers ending in “W”.
Transfer students who enter with 60 to 89 credits are required to pass two W-courses, while transfer students who enter with 90 credits or more must pass one W-course.
35 Credits Required
Acceptance to the major required.
‘C’ or better required in all PSY courses
Group 2M: 9 credits total (Prerequisites: completion of Group 1M)
Select one of the following (specific course prerequisites apply):
- PSY 210 — Infant and Child Development
- PSY 215 — Adolescent Development
- PSY 219 — Lifespan Development
- PSY 227 — Social Psychology
- PSY 298 — Special Topics
- PSY 306 — Understanding Intelligence
- PSY 318 — Emotional and Social Development
- PSY 361 — Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- PSY 366 — Health Psychology
- PSY 370 — Educational Psychology
- PSY 371 — Educational Psychology for Early Childhood Education
- PSY 398 — Special Topics
Group 3M: One of the following: (Prerequisites: at least 3 credits from Group 2M; specific course prerequisites apply)
Group 4M: Required course: (Prerequisites: Completion of LEP Quantitative Reasoning)
- PSY 259 — Statistics in Psychology
Group 5M: Required course: (Prerequisites: departmental permission and completed major acceptance form)
- PSY 300 —The Psychology Major: Curriculum and Careers
Group 6M: One of the following (Prerequisites: completion of Group 4M, with a grade of C or higher, and Group 5M)
Group 7M: Required course (Prerequisites: completion of Group 4M, with a grade of C or higher, and Group 5M)
- PSY 393 — Experimental Methods
Group 8M: One course (Prerequisites: completion of Group 4M, with a grade of C or higher, Group 5M, and at least 3 credits from Groups 3M and/or 6M. Some courses have additional requirements)
- Any 400-level psychology course except for PSY 463, 467, 471, 472, 473, and 499.
Group 9M: One of the following (specific course prerequisites apply)
- PSY 465 — Seminar in Psychological Counseling and Therapy
- PSY 474 — Seminar in Behavior Theory and Practice
Group 10M: One of the following (specific course prerequisites apply)
Group 11M: Both must be taken concurrently:
No cognates are required for this program.
Remaining credits to reach Overall Credits Required (listed above).