120 Overall Credits Required
LIBERAL EDUCATION PROGRAM AND WRITING REQUIREMENTS
Liberal Education Program
45 Credits Required
Students must complete a comprehensive three-tiered Liberal Education Program (LEP). View all requirements of the tiers on the Liberal Education Program. Any credits over 45 are counted toward free electives.
While the choice of courses that fulfill the requirements is generally left up to students, some departments require that students select specific courses to complement their major. This major has specific Tier requirements/restrictions for the following:
Tier 1 - Quantitative Reasoning:
MAT 150 - Calculus I (‘C-’ or better)
Writing Requirements (“W-Courses”)
Three W-courses are required. These may not be taken until after a student has passed ENG 112 — Writing Arguments. W-courses may count toward LEP, major, or cognate requirements, as well as free electives. Course sections that meet this requirement are designated by section numbers ending in “W”.
Transfer students who enter with 60 to 89 credits are required to pass two W-courses, while transfer students who enter with 90 credits or more must pass one W-course.
36 Credits Required
In those mathematics courses which the student applies toward the major in mathematics, he/she must have a GPA of 2.0 and, at most, one grade below C-.
MAT 151 - Calculus II (‘C-’ or better)
MAT 250 - Foundations of Mathematics: An Introduction (‘C-’ or better)
MAT 252 - Calculus III (‘C-’ or better)
MAT 320 - Probability and Statistics I
MAT 372 - Linear Algebra (‘C-’ or better)
MAT 375 - Abstract Algebra I
MAT 450 - Analysis
Select, with approval of a departmental advisor, three courses from:
- MAT 245 - Differential Equations
- MAT 300 - History of Mathematics
- MAT 321 - Mathematical Statistics
- MAT 322 - Numerical Analysis I
- MAT 325 - Design of Experiments
- MAT 326 - Regression Analysis
- MAT 360 - Foundations of Geometry
- MAT 370 - Number Theory
- MAT 376 - Abstract Algebra II
- MAT 378 - Discrete Mathematics
- MAT 398 - Special Topics in Mathematics
- MAT 405 - Elementary Mathematics from an Advanced Standpoint
- MAT 480 - Topology
- MAT 488 - Seminar in Mathematical Modeling
- MAT 498 - Seminar in Mathematics
3 Credits Required
CSC 152 - Computer Programming I
Remaining credits to reach Overall Credits Required (listed above).