Sport Management, B.S. - Concentration: B.S. to M.S. Accelerated Pathway
The B.S. in Sport Management (Concentration: B.S. to M.S. Accelerated Pathway) provides high-achieving students with the opportunity to complete foundational graduate coursework during their senior year of undergraduate study in order to accelerate graduate degree completion. This competitive program allows admitted students the opportunity to complete both their bachelor’s degree and the M.S. in Sport and Entertainment Management (Concentration: Accelerated Pathway) in five years at Southern Connecticut State University. This program has a separate admissions process and eligible students are encouraged to apply no later than their junior year of undergraduate study. Please consult the admission requirements in the undergraduate catalog and below for more information.
Overall GPA of 3.0 Required
120 Overall Credits Required
Undergraduate freshmen and transfer applicants will select the appropriate degree program and accelerated pathway concentration for their particular discipline when applying through the Common App. Current students who are already matriculated in a program at Southern must be accepted into the undergraduate portion of the accelerated pathway through department permission via the Selection of degree system. Undergraduate students must declare their intention to join an Accelerated Pathway Program no later than their junior year. Eligible students in the accelerated pathway program will then apply for early acceptance graduate admission no later than the spring semester of their senior year. During the application process, students will select both the graduate degree for their specified discipline and the accelerated pathway concentration. Please note that acceptance into the undergraduate Accelerated Pathway does not automatically guarantee admission to the graduate Accelerated Pathway. Students should contact their faculty advisor regularly to ensure that they are meeting all requirements for graduate admission.
New students seeking admission to Southern Connecticut State University should apply online through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website:
Students must meet all of the university admissions criteria for acceptance into the program. Currently matriculated students must meet and maintain the following department requirements in order to be admitted to and remain in the program:
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0.
LIBERAL EDUCATION PROGRAM AND WRITING REQUIREMENTS
Liberal Education Program
45 Credits Required
Students must complete a comprehensive three-tiered Liberal Education Program (LEP). View all requirements of the tiers on the Liberal Education Program.
While the choice of courses that fulfill the requirements is generally left up to students, some departments require that students select specific courses to complement their major. This major has specific Tier requirements/restrictions for the following:
Tier 2 – Mind and Body:
REC 120 – Leadership Development
Tier 2 – Creative Drive:
REC 220 – Inclusive Recreation
Writing Requirements (“W-Courses”)
Three W-courses are required. These may not be taken until after a student has passed ENG 112 — Writing Arguments. W-courses may count toward LEP, major, or cognate requirements, as well as free electives. Course sections that meet this requirement are designated by section numbers ending in “W”.
Transfer students who enter with 60 to 89 credits are required to pass two W-courses, while transfer students who enter with 90 credits or more must pass one W-course.
57 Credits Required
'C' or better required.
Courses with less than 'C' must be repeated within two semesters. Students receiving grades of 'C' or lower in more than one recreation course may be dismissed from this major.
Sport Management Requirements
45 Credits Required
- REC 100 – Introduction to Recreation, Tourism, and Sport Management
- REC 363 - Event Management
- SMT 271 - Foundations of Sports Management
- SMT 301 - Internship I
- SMT 351 - Facility Design and Management
- SMT 354 - Sport Communication and Promotion
- SMT 355- Ethics in Sport Management
- SMT 356 - Sport Marketing
- SMT 357 - Legal Issues in Recreation and Sports
- SMT 388 - Administration of Sport Organizations
- SMT 401 - Internship II
- SMT 454 - International Sport Management and Governance
- SMT 456 - Sport Finance
- SMT 457 - Seminar: Contemporary Issues in Sports Management
Concentration in BS to MS Accelerated Pathway
12 Credits Required
18 Credits Required
Select six courses from:
- EXS 380 - Sport Psychology
- EXS 496 - Sport in American Culture
- HIS 220 - Sports in U.S. History
- JRN 200 - Basic of Journalism
- JRN 211 - Broadcast Sports Journalism
- JRN 226 - Sport Multimedia Journalism
- JRN 304 - Sports Reporting
- MGT 300 - Management and Organization
- MKT 200 - Principles of Marketing
- REC 320 - Program Planning and Development
- REC 321 - Advanced Techniques of Program Planning and Management
- REC 364 - Event Management Advanced Applications
- REC 470 - Research Methods
- SMT 200 - Recreational Team Sports
- SMT 207 - Adaptive Recreational Sport
- SMT 295 - Fantasy Sports and Sport Gaming
- SMT 465 - Sport Analytics
- SOC 267 - Sociology of Sports