Media Studies, B.A.
120 Overall Credits Required
LIBERAL EDUCATION PROGRAM AND WRITING REQUIREMENTS
Liberal Education Program
45 Credits Required
Students must complete a comprehensive three-tiered Liberal Education Program (LEP). View all requirements of the tiers on the Liberal Education Program.
While the choice of courses that fulfill the requirements is generally left up to students, some departments require that students select specific courses to complement their major. This major has specific Tier requirements/restrictions for the following:
There are no categories with specific requirements in this program
Writing Requirements (“W-Courses”)
Three W-courses are required. These may not be taken until after a student has passed ENG 112 — Writing Arguments. W-courses may count toward LEP, major, or cognate requirements, as well as free electives. Course sections that meet this requirement are designated by section numbers ending in “W”.
Transfer students who enter with 60 to 89 credits are required to pass two W-courses, while transfer students who enter with 90 credits or more must pass one W-course.
33 Credits Required
MDS 200 — How Media Means
MDS 222 — Media Theory
MDS 245 — Introduction to Media Studies
MDS 280 — Media Issues and Problems
MDS 333 — Media Research
MDS 442 — Media Criticism
MDS 482 — Seminar in Media Studies
Select 12 additional credits of MDS in consultation with a departmental advisor
9 Credits Required
Select 9 credits of MDS or from the following:
- ART 317 — History of Women and Art
- ART 364 — Documentary Photography
- ENG 371 — Literature into Film
- ENG 421 — Feminist Theory and Literary Criticism
- HIS 201 — U.S. History through Film
- JRN 260 — Anthropology of Media
- PHI 320 — Ethical & Social Implications of Science
- PHI 331 — Philosophy of Media
- PSC 312 — Media and American Politics
- PSY 303 — Perception
- SOC 404 or WMS 404 — Gender and the Law
- THR 285 — American Silent Film
- THR 382 —The Movies
- THR 383 — The Westerns
- THR 384 — American Film Directors: Ford, Hawks, and Wilder
- Other courses may be taken with departmental permission.