Part-Time and Alternative Study

View/Print PDF


Part-time students are encouraged to matriculate into a program by gaining acceptance through the Admissions Office.  Matriculated students receive earlier registration privileges than non-matriculated students and may be eligible for financial aid.  Students who wish to study for self-fulfillment as a non-matriculated student may do so without applying to the University.  Details on matriculation are listed in the Admission section of this catalog.  Academic policies concerning grading, course withdrawals, prescribed course sequences, and placement govern part-time as well as full-time students.


The Academic Advisement Center, located in Wintergreen 154, coordinates the initial advisement and course registration for new undergraduate part-time students. By developing flexible and responsive programs within and beyond traditional daytime hours and patterns of study, the University helps students attain their academic, professional, and personal goals. Included among the part-time study offerings is the Bachelor of Science degree program for Registered Nurses.


Local high school students may be eligible to take courses on a tuition-free, space-available basis. A registration fee will be charged. Students must be in their senior year and have a letter of recommendation from their high school counselor. These students earn high school credit for completing course work. High school students are not allowed to participate in study abroad programs. Contact the Academic Advisement Center for further information.


All part-time undergraduates are required to have properly completed health forms on file at the University Health Center prior to registration.

Required Immunizations

All matriculated graduate and undergraduate students must show proof of adequate immunization (see below) against Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, German Measles (Rubella) and Chicken Pox (Varicella). Such proof must be signed by a health care provider. The only exceptions are the following:

  • Those born prior to January 1, 1957 (where applicable).
  • Those with a valid medical exemption signed by their health care provider.
  • Those who provide documented laboratory proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella.
  • Those who provide a statement that immunization is contrary to their religious beliefs.
  • Those who are enrolled exclusively in a program for which students do not congregate on campus for classes or to participate in institutional-sponsored events, such as students enrolled in distance learning programs conducted entirely through electronic media in a setting without other students present.

Adequate Immunizations:

Measles (Rubeola) — one injection at 12 months of age or older and on or after January 1, 1969, and a second dose at least one month later and on or after January 1, 1980. Individuals born prior to January 1, 1957 are exempt from this requirement.

Mumps — one injection on or after 12 months of age and on or after January 1, 1969, and a second dose at least one month later or on or after January 1, 1980. Individuals born prior to January 1, 1957 are exempt from this requirement.

German Measles (Rubella) — one injection after 12 months of age. Individuals born prior to January 1, 1957, are exempt from this requirement.

Chicken Pox (Varicella) — All incoming students will be required to show proof of 2 varicella vaccines. The doses should be separated by at least 28 days with dose number one given on or after 12 months of age. Exemptions for this include:

  • Individuals born in the USA prior to January 1, 1980.
  • Laboratory confirmation of immunity to varicella.
  • Documentation from a health care provider stating there is a medical contraindication for receiving the vaccine.
  • Documentation from the student stating that such immunization is contrary to his/her religious beliefs.
  • Documentation from a health care provider or director of health stating that the student has had a confirmed case of such disease.


Southern Connecticut State University recognizes learning experiences outside the traditional college classroom may be equivalent to those that occur in the classroom in terms of meeting the objectives of established courses and programs. Matriculated SCSU students may receive up to a maximum of 30 credits for non-traditional learning experiences. When non-traditional credit is awarded, the credit is entered on the transcript as a transfer credit. Non-traditional grades are not included or counted in the GPA.

It is important for students to recognize that the rules for acceptance of credit for non-traditional learning does vary among academic departments and schools depending upon departmental standards and rules of external accrediting agencies. Information about possible non-traditional credit for any of the options listed below may be obtained from the Registrar's Office.


Charter Oak State College has been designated as a Portfolio Assessment Center for State institutions that do not have internal portfolio assessment processes. Many SCSU departments and programs accept credits based on Portfolio Assessment awarded by Charter Oak State College and other regionally accredited colleges and universities when such credits are applicable to the student's degree program. Matriculated students may obtain further information about the Charter Oak State College Program from the Academic Advisement Center, located in Wintergreen 154.


The University recognizes the Advanced Placement (AP) Program sponsored by the College Board. After completing the final examination for the course, students should have their official scores sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. A score of three or higher is acceptable in most subject areas. The official evaluation of credit is completed when all final transcripts are received by the Admissions Office and the deposit is paid.


The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) provides an opportunity for matriculated students to obtain academic credits by obtaining a satisfactory score on nationally standardized examinations prepared by the Educational Testing Service. There are two types of examinations: general examinations and subject examinations. The four general examinations accepted by SCSU are mathematics, humanities-English composition with essay, social science/ history, and natural sciences. Thirty subject examinations in the areas of literature, world languages, history and social science, science and mathematics, and business are also accepted by SCSU. A CLEP brochure listing minimum scores acceptable for academic credit at SCSU is available on the Registrar's Office website at

Students who are applying for admission to SCSU should have their official results sent to the office of Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation. Matriculated students should have their official results sent to the Registrar's Office.


  • Credit for examinations will be recorded on the transcripts of students who are matriculated and in good standing at SCSU after receipt of the official score report from the Educational Testing Service.
  • Credit for examinations will not be granted if the student has already satisfactorily completed courses equivalent in content to that covered by the CLEP examination.
  • Transfer of CLEP credit from another institution is acceptable if the scores equal or exceed the minimum scores required at SCSU after receipt of the official score report from Educational Testing Service.


Cooperative Education provides firsthand working experience for students while they are studying for their degrees. In their junior or senior years, students may spend a semester or a six-month period working full-time or part-time in business, industry, or government as part of their undergraduate programs.

The employing firm or agency works closely with the University in guiding the student through a practical learning experience. Students earn a wage from the employer, and are awarded from 1 to 12 academic credits by the University upon the successful completion of the employment period. These credits are applied to the student's academic program as free electives.

Junior or senior students who have completed 60 credits and have earned at least a 2.0 GPA are eligible to apply and participate in this program. Applications are available in the Center for Career Services. The student must receive written permission from his or her academic adviser, department chairperson, and dean as indicated on the application form. Employment periods are typically January 1-June 30 and July 1-December 31. Application deadlines are November 1 for January and April 1 for July.

The decision to recommend a student for participation in the program is based on academic and personal qualifications, on the nature of the work sought, on the number of cooperative employment opportunities available, and on the number of applicants. The final decision on the selection of candidates rests with the employer. The University does not guarantee the placement of students in Cooperative Education.  For more information, contact Academic Advisement at (203) 392-8888.


Many businesses, industries, and other non-accredited institutions provide formal training opportunities for which some academic credit may be awarded. Application of credit as it relates to the student's degree requirements is determined by the Admissions Office or Registrar's Office in conjunction with the student's major department in accordance with American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations as published in the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs. Official transcripts, diplomas or certificates are required. SCSU also accepts credits for programs conducted by non-collegiate organizations not evaluated by ACE in accordance with specific local agreements which comply with regulations of the Board of Trustees for the Connecticut State University and the Board of Governors for Higher Education regulations.


Credit for military experience is determined according to American Council on Education guidelines. Military credits are evaluated by the Registrar's office. When a student has matriculated, the appropriate military credit records should be submitted to the Registrar's Office.


Waiver examinations may be available for students who, as a result of prior experience, have proficiency in subject areas equivalent to that of a student who successfully completes a course. Students should see the department chairperson of the appropriate subject area to see if a waiver examination is available.

Some departments offer waiver examinations in the fall and spring of each year. A student who receives an "A" or "B" on the waiver examination earns three credits and waives the course. A student who receives "C" on the waiver examination waives the course without credit. Any lower grade indicates a need to take the course.

Waiver credits are not considered when tabulating a student's GPA. An "E" is recorded on the student's transcript to indicate credit received by successfully completing a waiver examination. A waiver examination may be taken only once.


Students may earn a commission in the United States Air Force or in the United States Army by completing requirements of the Reserve Officer Training Corp (ROTC) program as part of their studies at the University.


Students are able to take AFROTC classes at Yale University and receive commissions as second lieutenants.

The AFROTC program is available to Southern Connecticut State University students at Yale University's main campus in New Haven. Through the AFROTC program, Southern Connecticut State University students, without paying extra tuition, can pursue a commission as an officer in the United States Air Force. The freshman and sophomore courses carry no military obligation and are open to all students. Scholarships are also available for qualified students. These scholarships pay up to full tuition and fees, as well as money for books and a monthly tax-free stipend.

Students enroll in a four-year or three-year (if joining in their sophomore year) AFROTC sequence. Students commute to New Haven for AFROTC-specific classes and events. Up to 18 credits may be transferred to Southern and counted toward degree requirements as free electives.

Qualified students should contact the AFROTC office at (203) 432-9431 or visit our website at


The University of New Haven Army ROTC Program welcomes and challenges students to join "The UNH Corps of Cadets." Students will learn the foundational skills of overall leadership and management, while potentially earning benefits through tuition assistance and monthly stipends based on their performance. The instructors teach dynamic tactical environments or civilian careers.

Prior service and veteran students are particularly welcome in the UNH Corps of Cadets. The experience gained through service is priceless. It will only further develop peers in the ROTC program while refocusing knowledge through the prism of leadership. The UNH Corps of Cadets strongly supports the Yellow Ribbon Program, as well. For any questions, please contact Captain Sean Ritchie (University of New Haven) at (203) 931-2997 or visit the website at


The University is proud to offer a wide range of study-abroad opportunities to undergraduate students in all majors. Short-term summer, spring recess, and winter session study abroad programs led by SCSU faculty are offered annually, as well as semester- and year-long programs. The University has a vast number of exchange partnerships in locations throughout the world including: Liverpool, England; Baden Wuettemberg, Germany; Nice and Lille, France; Salamanca and Valencia, Spain; Yerevan, Armenia; Beijing, China; and many more. These exchange partnerships allow students to attend foreign universities while paying SCSU tuition and other fees. Additionally, there are study abroad opportunities in over 52 additional countries at or below the cost of attending SCSU. For further information, students should contact the Office of International Education, EN A-220, at (203) 392-6756, or visit the website at:

All study-abroad credits must be pre-approved through the Office of International Education prior to travel. Therefore, it is necessary to allow several months of preparation time prior to departure. Credits that are not pre-approved will not automatically be transferred to SCSU.


Students will be notified of a course cancellation via their Southern e-mail account that their course was cancelled. Student accounts will be credited based on the student's current university status.


The University offers intensive-study credit courses during winter session. Courses offered are at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in the Schools of Arts and Sciences, Business, Health and Human Services, and Education. Registration for the winter session begins in November.

Information on winter session course offerings, course descriptions, and registration instructions is available at


Each summer, Southern Connecticut State University offers more than 600 undergraduate and graduate course sections during two five-week summer sessions. In addition, special one- and two-week intensive institutes, workshops, and courses are scheduled throughout the summer. Residence hall accommodations are available at reasonable rates for students registered for summer courses.

Information on summer session course offerings, course descriptions, and registration instructions is available at