Master of Arts in Teaching, Bilingual/Elementary
For further information: EducationGrad@southernct.edu
Departmental Admission Requirements
In addition to the admission requirements of the Office of Graduate Admissions found in the Admissions section of this catalog, all applicants must also submit the following documents directly to the School of Graduate and Professional Studies:
- Completion of a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a total undergraduate GPA of at least 2.70; And, if applicable, a SCSU undergraduate GPA of at least 2.70.
- Completion of a subject-area major and meet the required content knowledge set by the CSDE regulations for the area of endorsement. Candidates may be required to complete specific courses prior to admission or prior to the completion of their program.
- Completion of general education coursework that meets current Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) standards for certification (currently 39 credits distributed across 5 of 6 areas and including a 3-credit U.S. history survey course). Applicants will be considered for admission if there are fewer than 12 credits of general education outstanding. These standards must be met prior to graduation.
- Submission of basic skills test scores in Reading, Mathematics, and Writing that meet guidelines for admission to the teacher preparation programs at SCSU (Praxis© Core, SAT or ACT). Scores must be within last 5 years.
- Passing scores on required state content knowledge examinations in the certification area - Secondary subject areas only.
- Submit two letters of recommendation and accompanying rating forms from individuals able to testify to the student's suitability as a teacher.
- Submit the SoE admission essay demonstrating a proficiency in English on the SoE admission portal (Tk20).
- Pass the department admission committee interview.
GPA Waiver Policy
GPA waivers will be considered for applicants who have less than a 2.70 GPA, but meet all other admission requirements and have at least a 3.00 GPA in the last 60 CR of their coursework; AND for applicants with a GPA of at least 3.00 in an earned master's degree whose undergraduate GPA does not meet minimum standards if the GPA in the certification content major is at least 3.00.
Program Sequence – 53 Credits
As sequencing changes, it is highly recommended that students meet with their program advisor to finalize a list of requirements for graduation.
Required Core Requirements
EDU 593 — Student Teaching
EDU 509 — Student Teaching Seminar
EDU 571 — English Language Learners
SED 502 — Introduction to Exceptional Learners
SED 503 — Learning Theory and Development
EDU 591 — Special Project in Education
Module 1: Behavioral Difficulties (Social and Emotional Development)
Module 2: Dyslexia Required
Concentration Requirements Bilingual/Elementary Education
EDU 504 — Mathematics in the Elementary School
EDU 506 — Language Arts and Children’s Literature
EDU 508 — Introduction to Education
EDU 534 — Curriculum Design and Methods for the Elementary Classroom
EDU 544 — Classroom Management
EDU 592 — Research in Education
RDG 566 — Developmental Reading and Language Arts in the Elementary School
TSL 315 — Foundations in Bilingual Education
TSL 321 — Assessment for English Language Learners
TSL 418 — ESL Methods in Content Instruction
Scores must be within last 5 years