Student Services

View/Print PDF

Academic Advisement

Academic Advisement, located in the Wintergreen Building, offers comprehensive career resources for all students and alumni. Innovative programs are offered which enable students to explore, define, prepare for, and realize their career objectives. Job opportunities are available to students for full-time and part-time positions during their college tenure. All on-campus student employment is coordinated through the Center for Academic and Career Advising. National and regional employers representing all fields actively recruit students through JOBSs (Job Opportunities Benefiting Southern students), an online job board available 24/7 to students and alumni looking for full- and part-time positions, internships and on campus student employment.

Career development programs include career counseling, individual consultation regarding career options, resume writing, cover letters, and job search strategies with professional staff; workshops on all career related topics; and speakers from various businesses and organizations discussing their career fields, occupation, industry, and career opportunities. FOCUS is a Web-based assessment tool that can help students find out more about majors and careers that suit their interests and skills. A career and internship fair is held during the spring semester and attracts approximately 100 employers representing all fields seeking students and graduates for full-time, part-time, and internship positions.

For additional information, visit the Center in the Wintergreen Building or the website.

Academic Success Center

The Academic Success Center at Southern provides services that support students on their journeys to gain scholastic independence and achieve academic success. The Academic Success Center serves the entire student body by helping students prepare, advance, and excel.

The Academic Success Center's aim is to assist students to become more independent and self-motivated learners, to master course material, and to develop and apply effective study strategies. It will provide an environment that is personal, caring, accessible, and friendly where students can make it their home for academic support. For more information, please contact the Academic Success Center at (203) 392-8967 or by email at

Alcohol and Drug Services

Alcohol and Drug Services. located in Engleman Hall B219, offers confidential screenings and assessments by a licensed alcohol and drug counselor, as well as referrals to community treatment providers for students seeking assistance and support for a substance abuse disorder. Brief intervention and education programs are also provided to students which aim to assist a student in reducing harmful consumption and negative consequences associated with high risk drinking and drug use. Presentations are available for classes, residence life staff, and athletic teams which provide information about alcohol and drug services on campus and supports within the community. The Collegiate Recovery Community at SCSU is support based and student oriented with the goal of providing resources to students in long term recovery from substance use disorders and for any student seeking recovery. Twelve-step meetings and other pathways to recovery meetings are offered on campus in addition to supports for students impacted by a family member's substance use. For more information about services, please call (203) 392-5087.

Breastfeeding-Friendly Campus

Southern Connecticut State University is dedicated to providing programs and resources that support students as they balance the demands of their studies and parenthood. There are over 40 designated breastfeeding champions to answer questions and provide a guide to lactation accommodations on campus. While many informal lactation spaces exist across the campus, SCSU currently has one centrally located, multi-user lactation room on the first floor of the Hilton C. Buley Library, Room 117. There also are single-user lactation rooms in Jennings Hall, Room 224, and Wintergreen Building, Room 115. Students who need a quiet, welcoming space in which to pump breast milk may use the lactation room with advance notice. To gain access to use the lactation room, please complete the online room reservation form on the Lactation Space website.

Career and Professional Development

The Office of Career and Professional Development, located on the third floor of Buley Library, serve as the primary office for career development services at Southern. Career development programs include career advising, individual consultation regarding career options; resume writing; cover letters; interviewing skills; job search strategies with professional staff' workshops on all career-related topics and speakers from various businesses and organizations discussing their career field; and occupation, industry, and career opportunities. FOCUS, a Web-based assessment tool is available for students to find out more about majors and careers that suit their interests and skills. For more information, contact Career & Professional Development at (203) 392-8967.

Center for Educational and Assistive Technology

The Center for Educational and Assistive Technology (CEAT) helps students with disabilities gain access to the same technology other students use to achieve their educational goals. The CEAT assesses students' technology needs and trains them to use adaptive hardware and software. Students may then use this technology at the CEAT or in other locations on campus. The CEAT also arranges for accommodations when access is needed for courses requiring the use of technology in the classroom. The CEAT, located in Engleman Hall, room B-17, is open Monday through Friday. CAT Coordinator: Bogdan Zamfir. Telephone: (203) 392-5799.

Center for Communication Disorders

The center, located in the lower level of Davis Hall, provides extensive facilities for clinical experience in audiology and speech language pathology. It contains sound-treated rooms and electro-acoustic equipment for the testing of hearing, fitting of hearing aids, auditory training, and experimental phonetics; a variety of speech and voice instrumentation; and specially equipped rooms for providing services to people with communication disorders. A major aspect of the clinic is its work with children, infancy through adolescence, and adults who have communication problems. The center is staffed by faculty and clinical supervisors from the Department of Communication Disorders. All are certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and licensed by the Connecticut State Department of Health in speech-language pathology or audiology. Faculty and clinical supervisors are responsible for the supervision of evaluation and treatment services that are provided by graduate students in the department. To make an appointment, students may call (203) 392-5955, come in person to Davis Hall room 012B, or email the director, Kevin McNamara at

Child Care Partial Reimbursement Program

The SCSU Division of Student Affairs recognizes the unique difficulties for many students who are also parents with young children. To help students who are struggling financially during the semester due to child care/babysitting expenses for their child(ren) under 12 years old while they are taking classes, the SCSU Office of Student Affairs sponsors a Child Care Partial Reimbursement Program that offers a limited number of partial reimbursements to students who meet all of the eligibility requirements. Priority is based on financial need. For more information, please contact the website of the Division of Student Affairs.

Computer Labs and Services

The Information Technology (IT) Department provides computing services, facilities, and support for students, faculty, and academic staff. Over 40 departmental computer labs and five public labs with both MacOS and Windows operating systems are available for academic use. In some areas, specialized computer equipment and software packages are available for specific needs.

For the most updated information on IT services and support, including the IT Help Desk location and hours, please visit the IT Department website.

Counseling Services

University Counseling Services, located in Engleman B 219, provides free, confidential time-limited group and individual counseling for enrolled undergraduate and graduate students. Its primary goal is to provide psychological and emotional therapy and support as students pursue their academic, social, and personal goals and work to enhance the quality of their experience at SCSU. The office is staffed by a psychologist, professional counselors, a social worker, a psychiatric nurse practitioner, and advanced graduate student interns. Staff are trained to help college students address barriers to success and happiness and to build their skills in negotiating and preparing for life.

Students may access services by presenting at "walk-in" hours from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. every weekday. Additional appointments may be scheduled by contacting the center. Students in crises should present directly at Counseling Services during the day, and contact University after hours. The office also offers referrals to counselors and mental health services off-campus, mental health screenings, skill-building workshops, and educational programming on wellness, stress-management, and mindfulness. For more information, please contact Counseling Services at (203) 392-5475 or visit the Counseling Services website.

Disability Resource Center

Southern is committed to the full inclusion and equal educational opportunity for all persons with disabilities. The Disability Resource Center (DRC) provides services and support that promote educational equity for students with disabilities. Assistance includes arranging accommodations and auxiliary aids necessary for students with disabilities to pursue their academic careers, both in and outside of the classroom.

The DRC serves all students with documented disabilities that substantially impact them in educational settings. Students with documented disabilities, visible or hidden, qualify to apply for services. Categories of disabilities include, but are not limited to the following: mobility/orthopedic disabilities; learning disabilities; attention deficit disorders; visual, deaf and hard of hearing; acquired head injuries; psychological disabilities; autism spectrum disorders and chronic health-related disabilities.

DRC services include: arrangement of course and testing accommodations; accessibility information; provision of sign language interpreters, readers and/or note-takers; help with recruitment of personal assistants; development of compensatory skills, such as time management, organization and study skills, access to assistive technology, alternate text formats; self-advocacy skills.

Students interested in obtaining more information should contact the DRC by stopping by the office located in Engleman Hall–Room C105 or calling (203) 392-6828, 392-6131 TTY, 392-6829 FAX or visit the website at:

Director: Goldie Adele, Engleman Hall C105. Telephone: (203) 392-6828 (Voice), (203) 392-6131 (TTY).

Fitness Center

The Fitness Center is located on the second floor of the Adanti Student Center and is available for current students, faculty, and staff to join for a fee. The facility features a weight room, cardiovascular equipment, a selection of equipment for check-out, a cycling room, and group fitness classroom. Members can engage in exercise to improve or maintain their desired level of fitness and relieve stress without leaving campus. The Fitness Center staff also collaborates with student organizations and offices on campus to provide outreach and education about the benefits of an active lifestyle. Membership information, hours, and class schedules are available at the Fitness Center website.  For more information, please call the Fitness Center at (203) 392-8971.

Housing and Residence Life

The Office of Residence Life provides on-campus housing for full-time, matriculated graduate students and with special exception for part -time graduate students enrolled in fewer than 9 credits. Graduate students are placed in the North Campus Townhouses and Midrise. These communities offer a safe and supportive living environment with other graduate students and upper-class undergraduate students. All residences are fully furnished apartments with two double occupancy bedrooms, two bathrooms, and full kitchens, including garbage disposals and dishwashers. All apartments include carpeting, window curtains or blinds, air conditioning, free internet access for each resident, and digital cable.

Apartment staff members include a live-in professional staff member who supervises student staff members, advises the Hall Council, provides educational and social programming, mediates roommate and community concerns, and makes referrals to campus resources. The North Campus communities are a short walk to academic buildings, dining, the library, athletic fields, the Adanti Student Center, and the Fitness Center.

Students living on campus have easy access to academic and student support.  The North Campus Townhouses and Midrise offer a social lounge, computer lab, a service desk, vending machines, laundry facilities, recreation areas, trash disposal, mail service, a convenience store, and an ATM. Free parking is provided through a first come/first serve request through University Police.

Applications for on campus housing are available after admission to a graduate program. Assignments are made in the order that the non-refundable housing deposits are received. For more information and for instructions on how to apply for housing, please visit our website at, contact the Office of Residence Life at 203-392-5870, or send an e-mail to

Language Laboratory

The Language Laboratory is a resource center operated by the Department of World Languages and Literatures. Audio-visual materials and computers supporting the teaching of over ten foreign languages are available for use by students and faculty. Engleman Hall D162, D164 and B131. Telephone: (203) 392-6795.
Learning Resources Center

Located in Buley Library, the Learning Resource Center is composed of the Production Lab and the Curriculum Collection. Services in the Production Lab include slide, transparency, color poster production, lamination, audio and video tape, CD and DVD duplication, and video to DVD transfers. The Center has a shape cutter for making displays and bulletin boards. There is a small charge for some of these services.

The Curriculum Collection contains elementary and secondary textbooks, curriculum guides, and teaching aids to assist students and faculty in the field of education. Lesson planning and activity guides, along with thematic unit booklets, are available in the collection. A limited number of Curriculum CD-ROMs are also available for use within the lab. (203) 392-5719. Web site:

Library Services:  Buley Library

The Hilton C. Buley Library, Southern Connecticut State University's center of research, plays an indispensable part in the academic experience of every student. Buley Library provides nearly 860,000 print and electronic volumes which include monographs and audio visual materials and access to more than 130 electronic databases to serve study, teaching, and research needs. An online catalog shared with the 17 Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) and the Connecticut State Library, expands available print and media resources to 4.7 million titles. Interlibrary loan services and other consortium arrangements further supplement these holdings.

A broad range of library services support and enhance the access and use of information resources in all formats. The main floor of Buley Library features a professionally staffed Reference Desk where librarians provide research assistance in utilizing Alma and Primo (the integrated library and discovery systems of the CSCU system), online research databases, the Internet, and the 29,000 volume print reference collection. In addition to journals included in full text databases, Buley Library subscribes to 550 individual electronic and print periodical titles and houses 57,850 bound periodical volumes. Audio visual materials are located on the first floor right after the Reference stacks. Instructional services meet a range of needs — basic orientations, library tours, and course-integrated instruction sessions arranged by teaching faculty. Presentations are offered on search strategies and selection of appropriate research information using both print and online resources. Individual research appointments with a librarian can be arranged through an online request system on the library's website. Individualized Instruction/Research Consultation Forms are available.

A valid Southern student identification card (Hoot Loot card) serves as a library card. Students who are enrolled in courses or conducting research for a thesis at the university are eligible to borrow library materials. Students are responsible for all materials checked out on their cards.

All library fees for lost or overdue books must be paid as they occur or a block will be placed on registration and transcripts.

The Buley Library building also houses the Academic Success Center, the First Year Experience Office, the Office for New Student and Sophomore Programs, the Writing Center, the Information Technology (IT) Department and Help Desk, the Owl Perch Café, the Buley Art Gallery, the Faculty Development Center, the Center of Excellence on Autism Spectrum Disorders, the Library Science Department, the Dean's Office of the School of Graduate and Professional Studies, and the Graduate Study Lounge.

The library staff is readily available to help students use information resources. Consult the student handbook for additional information regarding library use and regulations. For information and hours, call (203) 392-5750. The library's home page is: Director of Library Services, Dr. Clara Ogbaa, Telephone: (203) 392-5760.

Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic

The Marriage and Family Therapy Department provides individual, group, couple, and family therapy as part of its training program. The clinic also operates a supervised visitation program, an anger management program and parenting classes. Clients may be referred by clinicians, state or municipal agencies, or they may be self-referred. An elaborate viewing and sound system preserves privacy while affording graduate students the opportunity to view ongoing therapy and profit from the supervisory experience of others.

Director: Dr. Suzanne Carroll, Davis Hall 020. Clinic Coordinator's Telephone: (203) 392-6411.

Multicultural Center

The Multicultural Center under the Office of Multicultural Affairs serves as a resource for the university and the community in promoting an awareness and appreciation of cultural diversity. It offers educational programs and services to assist in the recruitment and retention of students. The center also sponsors outreach programs with area schools, conducts art exhibitions, film programs, lectures, and conferences and houses a book and video library. The Multicultural Center is located in the Michael J. Adanti Student Center.

Literacy Lab

The Literacy Lab in Davis Hall houses an extensive collection of specialized reading material, software, and equipment. In addition to serving as a laboratory for students in all reading courses, it contributes to the life of the community by offering diagnostic and remedial services for area elementary and secondary students who have difficulties in reading and writing. It also acts as a resource center for area teachers, reading consultants, and administrators. Davis Hall 204. Telephone (203) 392-6400.

Office of International Education

The Office of International Education (OIE) is a hub for all members of the campus community who wish to integrate international study, research, or teaching into their academic programs. Additionally, the OIE works with degree-seeking international students, exchange students, visiting scholars, and international faculty on matters related to visas, employment, immigration, and more; the office works with domestic students interested in studying abroad either on an SCSU faculty-led summer program, on one of SCSU's reciprocal exchange programs (semester or full year), or through an approved study abroad organization (semester or full year); and finally, the OIE offers Fulbright Program assistance for both students and faculty. Perhaps most importantly, the OIE is a place where international students and faculty can come to discuss matters related to their studies and American academic culture, as well as everyday life, social interaction, and communication in the United States. The OIE is located in Engleman Hall A 220. For more information, please call (203) 392-6756.

Sexuality and Gender Equality (SAGE) Center

The Sexuality and Gender Equality Center (SAGE) Center, Southern's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning and allies (LGBTIQQA) center provides positive academic and cultural support for all people of sexual diversity including students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae and university guests. To achieve that goal, the Center provides a safe communal space, personal support, resource information, relevant programming, and positive acknowledgement of the LGBTIQQA community and its equality in the world today. The SAGE Center works to create a campus atmosphere of tolerance and understanding that is open and accepting—and free from the oppressive forces of homophobia, heterosexism, and gender bias. Programming events include lectures, discussions, social events, films, and other presentations throughout the academic year. The SAGE Center is located in the Adanti Student Center, Room 238. For more information, please call (203) 392-8989.

Student Accident Insurance

All full-time SCSU students are covered by the University Accident Insurance through Aetna Student Health. To file a claim for an accident, obtain an estimation of benefits (EOB) from your primary insurance and submit the documentation with an accident claim form and send to:

Aetna Student Health
PO Box 981106
El Paso, TX 79998-1106

If you have any questions regarding accident insurance claims or if you are a part-time student who would like to purchase the Accident Insurance for a campus activity, please contact Aetna Student Health toll-free at 877-375-4244 or visit the Aetna Student Health Website.

Student Enrollment Service Center

The Wintergreen Building is a one-stop location for walk-in services and queries for students regarding admission, financial aid, registration, payment, university ID cards, and advisement questions. The offices within the Wintergreen Building have an experienced staff who are trained to answer questions and assist students with the administrative services needs necessary to successfully navigate the college environment.

Student Health Services

The Student Health Center is located in Granoff Hall on Wintergreen Avenue. A physician, nurse practitioners, registered nurse, and support personnel are available Monday through Friday according to schedules available on the Student Health Services website. Student Health Services provides clinical health care to all students regardless of their health insurance carrier.  Appointments can be scheduled online from the website or by phone.  Urgent care is available on a walk-in basis. Referrals in emergency situations can be done expeditiously to hospitals or specialists in the area. The telephone number for Student Health Services is (203) 392-6300, and the fax number is (203) 392-6301. If students requiring medical assistance are unable to reach a staff member, they should call University Police at (203) 392-5375, or 911 in an emergency.

All full-time and part-time graduate students are required to have properly completed health forms on file at Student Health Services prior to registration. The Connecticut State University Student Health Services Form and requirements can be found on the Student Health Services website.

The university reserves the right to deny registration and campus housing to any student not in compliance.

Director: Diane Morgenthaler, M.D.

Support and Resource Team (SART)

Southern Connecticut State University's Support and Resource Team (SART) is designed to provide a collaborative victim/survivor-centered team response to sexual violence. The mission of SART is to provide services that ensure a transition from victim to survivor for every individual whose life is impacted by sexual violence. The SART members can provide a survivor with many supportive options including counseling, medical attention, judicial services, advocacy, referrals, and general information regarding sexual violence. Should a survivor choose to file a police report, the University Police and Violence Prevention, Victim Advocacy and Support (VPAS) Center staff will assist the individual with the reporting process. SART members strive to empower the survivor to make their own decisions by providing on-and off-campus resources. SART members will offer support as needed and hold perpetrators accountable. SART members will keep confidentiality to the best of their abilities.

The SART has been designated by the Division of Student Affairs to handle sexual assault cases. The team includes a coordinator and designated individuals from throughout the University. The Support and Resource Team is available to help anyone who reports a violation of the sexual misconduct policy. In cases of immediate danger or an emergency, call the University Police at 9-1-1.

For information or to report sexual violence, students may contact any member of the team. Please visit the Violence Prevention, Victim Advocacy and Support (VPAS) Center website at for team members' contact information and details of services.

University Bookstore

The University Barnes & Noble Bookstore, located on the first floor of the Adanti Student Center, provides both new and used textbooks with study aids as well as a textbook rental program and many titles in digital format. Students may also participate in the Price Match program. All course materials can also be purchased through the Univeristy Bookstore's website. The Bookstore also provides academic school tech supplies, including art supplies, laptops and related computer peripherals, a variety of Southern clothing and giftware. Also available are a wide assortment of snacks and beverages, paperbacks for leisure reading, backpacks, health and beauty aids and greeting cards. Part time positions are available at the beginning of each semester. For more information, please call (203) 392-5270.

Veterans and Military Services

The Office of Veterans and Military Affairs provides academic and personal advisement, information about the GI Bill and the Veterans and National Guard Tuition Waivers and liaison with other campus services and local, state and national organizations.

Joint Service Transcript (JST): provide the Admissions Office with your JST for military training evaluation.

Veterans Center and Computer Lab is great place to meet other military, to network and to socialize. It includes a TV, microwave, refrigerator and coffee. Free printing in the Computer Lab.  Coordinator: Jack Mordente, Engleman Hall, Room A 014. Telephone: (203) 392-6822.

Violence Prevention, Victim Advocacy and Support Center

The Violence Prevention, Victim Advocacy and Support (VPAS) Center is committed to helping to create a campus community of respect and safety by providing violence prevention education, victim/survivor advocacy, and support services. Prevention education topics include sexual misconduct (sexual harassment, sexual assault, intimate partner violence, stalking, sexual exploitation), affirmative consent, risk reduction, bystander intervention, hazing, bullying, and safety. Advocacy services are available to support students who have experienced sexual misconduct, hazing, bullying, or any other crime. The VPAS Center is also responsible for the coordination of the University Support and Resource Team (SART). The VPAS Center is located in Schwartz Hall. Additional information is available by calling the Center at (203) 392-6946 or via the VPAS Center website.

Wellness Center

The Wellness Center is located in Schwartz Hall, Room 100, on Fitch Street. The Wellness Center strives to provide a warm and welcoming environment that values a healthy and connected community. Through education, outreach, and campus collaborations, the Wellness Center makes every effort to provide students with the tools necessary to increase their knowledge and awareness of positive health behaviors.

The Wellness Center at Southern is responsible for broad student health outreach on topics, including but not limited to,sexual health, tobacco use, nutrition, drugs and alcohol, sleep, and stress. The Wellness Center facilitates health promotion activities for the campus community, including educational sessions, special events, and other activities.

For more information or to request a presentation for a class or a group, please contact the Wellness Center at (203) 392-7110, via email, or the Wellness Center website.

Coordinator: Emily Rosenthal, MPH, LMSW.

Writing Center

Assistance with university writing assignments is available to undergraduate and graduate students at no cost in the Writing Center, a part of the Academic Success Center (ASC) on the third floor of Buley Library. The Writing Center offers help with any writing assigned at the university in addition to writing related to academic pursuits such as scholarship applications, application to graduate school, etc. In addition to undergraduate tutors who assist undergraduate students, graduate student tutors work with graduate and undergraduate students and specially trained ESL tutors to work with any student with ESL needs. It is recommended that students make an appointment but a limited number of drop in appointments are also available. Please visit the Academic Success Center website to make an appointment.